Typically I don't make New Year's resolutions. Maybe that s because I never seem to be able to keep them, but now I know I'm not alone in this. According to a study at the University of Scranton, only a tiny fraction of us actually keep our resolutions. Their research suggests that just 8% of people achieve their New Year’s goals. I guess I'm considered in the majority here.
What if for once we came up with a resolution that was easy to keep and benefited our country at the same time? Sounds great, right? As a consumer, think about all of the purchases you make every year. All that "stuff" that we, as Americans love to buy. A lot of that "stuff" is sadly not made in this country, however the U.S manufacturing revival is happening and every week, American entrepreneurs are coming up with new ideas of things to make here. The problem is most people have no clue how to look for it or where to buy it. We can help with that.
According to the website Made in the USA.com, “If every American spent an extra $3.33 on U.S.-made products, it would create almost 10,000 new jobs. And, if every builder used just 5 percent more U.S.-made products, it would create 220,000 jobs.” It is clear, that each one of us can have a positive impact on our economy by simply making the decision to buy products made at home.
Sarah Mazzone at Made in USA Challenge provides some great tips on how to begin your resolution to buy American made.
- Take an inventory of the products you use most in your own home. Find out where they are made, then research potential alternatives.
- Start checking labels in shops you already frequent. Take the extra ten seconds to see where a product was manufactured.
- Start asking stores, calling companies and reaching out to brands via social media to ask where their factories are located and let them know what the answer is important to you as a consumer.
- Look for resources in your local community. “Shopping small” in local, independently owned shops in your town may reveal hidden gems of locally made goods. As a bonus, the money you spend there will be re-invested in your own community.
- For hard to find items, use resources on the internet to search and research American made options. The Made in America Master List is a good place to begin your search. You can also search the blog for product or brand suggestions featured over the past year and a half.
- Let friends and family know about your resolution to buy goods made in USA. Share with others your reasons for buying made in USA, and encourage them to learn more about the issue. Inspire others to take action without judging or criticizing their own consumer habits.
Here's are some of our favorite resources for where to buy products made in the USA:
American Made Matters
Description from site: The American Made Matters® mission is to educate consumers that buying US-made products strengthens the American dream. This site has a database of businesses that provide both retail and wholesale goods. Be sure to check out their short video titled “Choose American.”
Made in the USA Challenge
Description from site: Made in USA Challenge is a resource for the conscious consumer to find made in
USA goods that are safe, ethically made, eco-friendly and awesome.
USA Love List
Description from site: Our team is working every day to learn about great American products, add brands to our LIST, and connect with American businesses.
Made in America Movement
Descriptuion from site: a conduit for change by uniting American voices and increasing American jobs
Description from site: American Certified is your one-stop resource for everything and anything regarding the made in USA movement. Here is a link to their video.
American Made Everything
Description from site: We are an interconnected database of American-made products and service. We list only American made products and service. We do not buy or sell products. We are a service directory for American Made Everything. We hope to provide consumers with American made goods and service which creates or sustains jobs in America.
Buy Direct USA
Description from site: BuyDirectUSA.com offers a list of companies that sell products made in the USA and/or manufacturer products in the USA.
Made in America Store
Description from site: Our mission is to restore U.S. manufacturing jobs by providing American consumers a brick & mortar store and e-commerce site that guarantees that each product sold is entirely American in materials and labor.
Made in America Gift Guide
Description from site: Our Made in America Gift Guide was created to help shoppers find gifts for family, friends and special occasions that are American Made.
Made in the USA
Description from site: MadeInTheUSA.com is an e-commerce website featuring America’s largest collection of U.S.-made products. You can watch their short video here.
Keep it USA Made
Description from site: The leading place to keep up to date for your most current news, topics, blogs and discussions on products, industry, manufacturing, politics and more pertaining to Made in the USA.
Made in USA Forever
Description from site: Based in Oceanside CA, in San Diego county, Made in USA Forever.com was founded by Todd Lipscomb to provide an easy, fun way to buy products made in the USA by suppliers across our nation.
Consider buying more products made in the USA to your 2015 New Years resolutions. We promise its one that you'll not only be able to keep, but one that you can feel good about as well.