In our last article on “Design to Part”, we focused on the importance of product function, the end-use application of a part and its impact on the final manufacturing process. We discussed the importance of providing details on the products function.
These details include:
- What elements will the part be exposed to?
- What are the specific tensile requirements?
- What chemical or corrosive materials does the part need to withstand?
- What are the cosmetic characteristics of the part?
- How long should the part last?
- Does the part need to meet RoHS, FDA, REACH or other regulatory requirements?
In this article, we will discuss how the product function translates to the manufacturing process.